Causes of bad breath:
- The number one reason for bad breath is the lack of good oral hygiene. Not brushing and flossing at least twice a day and getting regular cleanings.
- Forgetting to brush the tongue!
- Aromatic foods. Especially onions and garlic are often the sources of breath odor. What happens is food that is absorbed into the bloodstream and then expelled through the lungs and outcomes the smell! While the food is digesting the odor might make its way back up to the esophagus and expel up the mouth producing the smell. Luckily once it is fully digested the odor will go with it.
- Sinus infection, bronchitis, postnasal drip, or other respiratory tract infections can also be the culprit. For postnasal drip gargling mouth wash may help wash away the fluids that coat the throat.
- Tobacco use is also a common source of mouth odor. As tobacco use is inhaled, it is also exhaled. The only way to stop the odor is to stop smoking.
- Dry mouth. Good saliva helps keep the mouth balanced, healthy and cleanses the teeth and tissue. Unfortunately, most side effects of medications can reduce saliva flow resulting in dry mouth. Another factor is there may be an issue with the salivary glands. Dry mouth can also be caused by continuously breathing from the mouth.
- Other than lung and sinus infection there may be other medical conditions that are causing the issue of bad breath like gastrointestinal disturbances and kidney or liver ailments.
Treating Bad Breath
We know that having bad breath can be embarrassing and make you feel self conscious. But why does bad breath happen? What are the causes? And ways to help prevent it? If you have bad breath or are just curious read on then hopefully this will help you better understand the reasoning behind that bad breath!
Overall the best way to control mouth odor is through good oral hygiene. Mouth washes and breath sprays may mask the odor for a bit but will not have a lasting affect. Most breath mints contain sugar or citric acid causing cavities. The best advice we can give you is to come see Dr. Martinez and our hygienist for a cleaning so we can help vanish that bad breath!